Tuesday, January 19, 2010

D.I.Y K&N Filter Change/Cleaning


Oh look, K&N! Haha. Today my dad finally pushed me to change his filter in his civic. YES I know, i've been meaning to change it but I cant be bothered if nobody really pushes me to do it. Oh well... it was due anyway :). Firstly! You should wash the old/spare filter... I didnt take any photos of washing it, but its simple enough. Spray the cleaner all over it, then rinse it off with low pressure water once the cleaner has been absorbed. Leave it for 2 days to dry and here we are! A filter element waiting to be oiled...


And there we go, oiling done. Its really simple to oil it, just oil each row of the filter with the oil, and let it set...




Here's the hard part though, the removal of the filter cover! Its that middle black lump with the white and red sticker under the strut bar which is blocking it... so, first things first I had to remove the strut bar. Armed with an awesome ratchet given by my ever 'gracious' college, I started unscrewing it.


Removed the strut bar with a soft-blow hammer. Apparantely, its not THAT easy to remove a strut bar with your bare hands, had to knock it quite a fair bit since it was jammed shut...




Strut bar out of way, now I can start my work! Muahaha :D




There we go, air filter cover out aaaaand...






Took out the filter, put the new one in! Honda's throttle body location is damn weird, the air actually gets sucked from the bottom of the air filter, then only enters the throttle body there... why they designed it like that though, i'll never know. Maybe to keep the engine cleaner? The throttle body is nearing 100,000KMS yet its still so shiny...






Close up view of the throttle body + air filter.







And tadah!~~~ Everything done in 20 mins, considering you have the tools and shizz. Car rev's up to 6500rpm's, tested by dad VS a 525i on the way back from gym today. So sad, the feller was spazzing while driving, hahahaha XD. Not bad for an auto ricebox eh?



No comments: