Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tri-Y Headers




It's been awhile since i've blogged about car-ish stuff, guess i've got the mood tonight lalala. Haha so tonight, were going to talk about 4-1 headers and TRI-Y headers.


Lets start with the basics eh? What are headers? Simple, they're just straight pieces of metal, galvanized steel, stainless steel, or rarely titanium. They evacuate gasses from the car's engine smoothly instead of the standard one which really doesnt do much for performance. Anyways I wont go into why the standard one doesnt do much for performance, lets just say everything standard is compromised from the factory.


So! Movin' on, my Nissan has had an exhaust change some time back, a few years now. 2 I think? Over that 2 years i've deleted 1 centre silencer out of 2, and changed my muffler to a quieter cannon, which is ironic, cause it silenced that missing silencer. LOOOL. Anyways, the most important upgrade was my 4-2-1 header.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS SORTA NERDY Y'ALL.


As the name is, its the gas from 4 cylinders, going into 4 pipes, 2 pipes, and finally into 1. I got this because I THOUGHT I had no other choice, but I actually do. Which is a 4-1. To common understanding a 4-1 gives much more power at high revs. Anyways me being me all wanting to know more, I remembered american cars using a header called Tri-Y design so I stared googling it.

Mana tau, after 1 whole night of researching... Tri-Y is a fancier way of saying 4-2-1. Yes im sheeeriouz. Its 100% the same -.-".

Hmmph. At least all my effort wasnt wasted, did some reading HERE on hondatuning.com's page, where they had a dyno shootoff with a 4-2-1 header VS a 4-1 header. Read the link above for the results.

Anyways the Tri-Y header had MORE torque from a standing start untill 7200rpm, which then only after that the 4-1 started getting more power. My engine can only rev up 'till 7000rpm, max power coming in at 6000rpm, so you should know what style of header's im getting next. The only difference? Bigger diameter to flow more gas & its gonna be in stainless steel, happy meeee :).


But I dont have money ATM so not happy me. It costs RM600 for custom headers. PFFFFFTTTT IAN TTLY JEERRRR.

Still, to whoever is reading out there, if you've got a car that cant go more that 7000rpm, dont bother with the 4-1, its a waste of money :p. Get a 4-2-1. Thanks for reading this nerdy post!

No comments: